A student is defined as anyone who is enrolled in classes at the ALC or anyone who is involved in a testing session at the ALC. Individuals who are 18 years of age or older are eligible to enroll in adult education programs or testing at the ALC. (Minors are accepted by individual case. See requirements below for 16 & 17 year old students.)

GED Eligibility

Requires one of the following conditions; Kansas Board of Regents (KBOR) oversight:

  • Does not have a high school diploma; and has not passed all four modules of the GED® Exam
  • Does not have basic, reading, writing, or math skills as determined by scores on the TABE tests

Underage students (16 & 17 year olds) must present documentation at the time of enrollment to show they are not truant and/or currently enrolled in high school. Any one of the following may be used as documentation:

  • A Disclaimer form and an Exemption form from the local high school showing the student has been legally withdrawn from high school
  • A court order exempting the student from attending school
  • Proof of enrollment in a board-approved alternative educational program
  • Proof of legal emancipation
  • Proof of marriage 

ESL Eligibility

The Manhattan Adult Learning Center is required by the State of Kansas and Federal (AEFLA) guidelines to give priority to new students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. The ESL program is intended for those individuals who do not have adequate proficiency in the English language to function as a citizen, employee in the Manhattan community, or the ability to communicate effectively with a child’s teacher.

Individuals who ARE eligible for ESL classes under the AEFLA grant must meet ALL of the following guidelines: be 16 years of age and over; does not have basic listening, reading, writing and/or mathematics skills as determined by scores on the TABE tests; has Visa status compliance (one of the following):

  • Citizens of the United States (and their dependents) who do not speak English as their first language
  • Refugees and Residents with applicable green card
  • Immigrant Visa holder

Recreational Students:
Students enrolling in programs and services who do not qualify under the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA) grant are considered recreational students. Any student who self identifies as a Non-immigrant Visa Holder is considered a Recreational Student (See below for Non-immigrant Visa Status). Recreational students may apply for enrollment. The fee for Recreational Students is $1000 per course, as class space permits. Orientations for Recreational Students occur in August and January of a given school year if seating is available.

Purpose of Travel Visa Category
Athlete, amateur or professional (competing for prize money only) B-1
Au pair (exchange visitor) J
Australian professional specialty E-3 
Border Crossing Card: Mexico BCC
Business visitor B-1
CNMI-only transitional worker CW-1 
Crewmember D
Diplomat or foreign government official  A
Domestic employee or nanny - must be accompanying a foreign national employer B-1
Employee of a designated international organization or NATO G1-G5, NATO
Exchange visitor J
Foreign military personnel stationed in the United States A-2 NATO1-6
Foreign national with extraordinary ability in Sciences, Arts, Education, Business or Athletics  O
Free Trade Agreement (FTA) Professional: Chile, Singapore H-1B1 - Chile
H-1B1 - Singapore
International cultural exchange visitor Q
Intra-company transferee L
Medical treatment, visitor for B-2
Media, journalist I
NAFTA professional worker: Mexico, Canada TN/TD
Performing athlete, artist, entertainer P
Physician J , H-1B
Professor, scholar, teacher (exchange visitor) J
Religious worker R
Specialty occupations in fields requiring highly specialized knowledge H-1B
Student: academic, vocational F, M
Temporary agricultural worker H-2A
Temporary worker performing other services or labor of a temporary or seasonal nature. H-2B
Tourism, vacation, pleasure visitor B-2 
Training in a program not primarily for employment H-3
Treaty trader/treaty investor E
Transiting the United States C
Victim of Criminal Activity U
Victim of Human Trafficking T
Nonimmigrant (V) Visa for Spouse and Children of a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR)  V
Source: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-res...