English as a Second Language

ESL classes provide instruction in English-language skills including speaking, writing, listening and reading for students whose first language is not English. Managed enrollment classes are designed to help students improve reading and writing skills as well as conversational English. A placement test will evaluate each student’s needs, allowing the instructor to target the areas which will be most beneficial to the student.

Class Schedules

Students must attend classes Monday – Thursday. ESL direct classes are 2 hours a day. Every student is expected to spend 4 hours a week on Burlington English OUTSIDE of regular class time. Students should complete 12 hours of instruction a week. Any student who regularly has less than 8 hours a week of instruction may be dismissed from the program. Students are expected to study with the ALC for a minimum of 60 hours before they depart from the program.

Class: Time:

Beginning ESL 101 (Levels 7/8) 

9:00am - 12:00pm
Intermediate ESL 201 (Levels 9/10)  11am – 1pm
Advanced ESL 301 (Levels 11/12) 11am – 1pm
Transitions ESL 401 (Levels 12+) 2pm – 4pm

ESL Eligibility

The Manhattan Adult Learning Center is required by the State of Kansas and Federal (AEFLA) guidelines to give priority to new students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. The ESL program is intended for those individuals who do not have adequate proficiency in the English language to function as a citizen, employee in the Manhattan community, or the ability to communicate effectively with a child’s teacher.

Individuals who ARE eligible for ESL classes under the AEFLA grant must meet ALL of the following guidelines: be 16 years of age and over; does not have basic listening, reading, writing and/or mathematics skills as determined by scores on the TABE tests; has Visa status compliance (one of the following):

  • Citizens of the United States (and their dependents) who do not speak English as their first language
  • Refugees and Residents with applicable green card
  • Immigrant Visa holder

Recreational Students: 
Students enrolling in programs and services who do not qualify under the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA) grant are considered recreational students. Any student who self identifies as a Non-immigrant Visa Holder is considered a Recreational Student (See below for Non-immigrant Visa Status). Recreational students may apply for enrollment. The fee for Recreational Students is $300 per session, as class space permits. Orientations for Recreational Students occur starting in August 2019 if seating is available.

The chart below contains different purposes for immigrating to the United States, and the related immigrant visa categories for which information is available on this website. Select a visa category below to learn more:

Immediate Relative & Family Sponsored

Visa Category

Spouse of a U.S. Citizen 

IR1, CR1

Spouse of a U.S. Citizen awaiting approval of an I-130 immigrant petition

K-3 *

Fiancé(e) to marry U.S. Citizen & live in U.S.

K-1 *

Intercountry Adoption of Orphan Children by U.S. Citizens

IR3, IH3, IR4, IH4

Certain Family Members of U.S. Citizens

IR2, CR2, IR5, F1, F3, F4

Certain Family Members of Lawful Permanent Residents

F2A, F2B

Employer Sponsored – Employment


Employment-Based Immigrants, including  (preference group):

  • Priority workers [First]
  • Professionals Holding Advanced Degrees and Persons of Exceptional Ability [Second]
  • Professionals and Other Workers [Third]
  • Employment Creation/Investors [Fifth]
  • Certain Special Immigrants: [Fourth]



E3, EW3

C5, T5, R5, I5

S (many**)

Religious Workers


Iraqi and Afghan Translators/Interpreters


Iraqis Who Worked for/on Behalf of the U.S. Government


Afghans Who Worked for/on Behalf of the U.S. Government


Other Immigrants


Diversity Immigrant Visa


Returning Resident


Important Notes:

*K Visas – Listed with immigrant visas because they are for immigration related purposes.

About this chart - This chart is a list of many immigrant visa categories, but not every immigrant visa category.

**Refer to the Foreign Affairs Manual, 9 FAM 502.1 for a listing of all immigrant visa categories.