This page is a compilation of financial aid information and resources specific to higher education students and will be updated when information is available. Financial Aid hopes that you and your family are safe and healthy during this challenging time. If you have any questions or concerns, our team is available to help via email at FinancialAid@manhattantech.edu and by Virtual Appointment.
Face-to-Face Financial Aid and VA Meetings Suspended
Financial Aid/VA appointments will be conducted with current students via Microsoft Teams ideally or by email if necessary.
In accordance with federal, local, and state recommendations/mandates the college will be conducting all advising appointments virtually until further notice.
- If you have already scheduled an Financial Aid/VA appointment, please know a representative will reach out to you with instructions for the appointment.
- If you do not hear from your a representative, please email FinancialAid@manhattantech.edu.
- Please use the scheduling tool to schedule your virtual Financial Aid/VA appointments. Note that your representative will confirm your appointment by sending you a Microsoft Teams calendar request. Additionally, your representative will initiate the appointment through Microsoft Teams. Email appointments are available for students or representatives who prefer this format.
Please be patient with Financial Aid as prior appointments may be running long due to the nature of this situation. We will do our best to initiate the appointment as close to the start of the scheduled appointment as possible but ask that you are logged in and available at your scheduled time. You will find instructions on how to use Microsoft Teams below.
During your appointment, please make every effort to be in a quiet space to ensure clear communication. For best service, please be logged into Microsoft Teams from a laptop, tablet or desktop with webcam/microphone capabilities to ensure full usage of the software including video, audio and screen sharing.
Student instructions: Accessing Microsoft Teams for Financial Aid/VA appointments
As a Manhattan Tech student, you have access to several of the applications available via Microsoft including Teams. If you choose this method to conduct an appointment with Financial Aid here are the things you'll need to know:
You MUST access Teams from your Manhattan Tech Microsoft account. Financial Aid will not conduct virtual appointments using any other software.
Microsoft Teams can be accessed via two methods:
- Go to this link online: https://teams.microsoft.com.
- Sign in with your Manhattan Tech username (@matc.net) and password
- Download and install the desktop version on your computer or laptop using your Manhattan Tech email and password (your computer or laptop will need a webcam for this option to work).
- Download the Microsoft Teams app on your tablet or smartphone and log in using your Manhattan Tech email and password (or search your platform's app store).
- Please note that this may limit your interaction capabilities during your appointment: Download Microsoft Teams for iOS (Apple) or Download Microsoft Teams for Android/(Google).
If you need assistance refer to the Microsoft Support Link
What you should know before your meeting
- Please join the meeting at your scheduled appointment time. If you are late to join, our representative may not be able to accommodate an extension to the meeting time.
- Please be prepared and dressed as though you are attending an in-person meeting.
- As we will most likely be going over your finances, we strongly recommend that you use a desktop/laptop with a stable internet connection in a quiet area to ensure safety and security.
- It is your responsibility to make sure you are in an environment that complies with all Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) rules and regulations. That is, if you do not want anyone to be able to overhear your personal information. If you are in a public space, it may be a good idea to utilize headphones, so your information stays private. Requesting a Teams meeting is your acknowledgment of the FERPA rules and regulations.
- If you choose to use your phone, please do not do so while driving. Our representatives reserve the right to end the meeting if this occurs.
|How to Guide for Current Students on Remote Financial Aid/VA Meetings||106.02 KB|
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information: Manhattan Tech's main COVID-19 information page
- Studentaid.gov Coronavirus Information: information on COVID-19 and forbearance
- Coronavirus.gov: the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) site, featuring prevention tips, common symptoms, current updates on how many cases there are in the U.S., advice about travel, and an FAQ
- USA.gov: USA.gov's COVID-19 page, sharing how agencies across the federal government are responding to the outbreak
- Federal Student Loan Servicers
- U.S. Department of Education Press Releases
News Articles and Announcements
- ABC News: Student Loans Get Put on Hold in Coronavirus Stimulus Bill
- U.S. Department of Education: Department of Education Halts Collections on Defaulted Student Loans
- National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA): Emergency GI Bill Fix and Online Learning
- U.S. Department of Education: Discover Loan Payment Suspension
- NASFAA: National Student Debt Relief Proposals
Discover Student Loans is offering COVID-19–related relief for borrowers. The following are the details of the relief program:
- For two months, borrowers will not be required to make monthly loan payments and interest will be waived on their loan(s).
- Eligible borrowers must have loans in repayment and/or loans requiring in-school payments.
Discover Student Loan borrowers in this situation can call 800-STUDENT any time 24/7 for more information, or contact their school services team at 877-321-5018 from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. EDT, Monday–Friday.
Because of the impacts of COVID-19, Sallie Mae customers may be facing financial difficulties. If you are experiencing hardship due to COVID-19, you can contact them for any available payment assistance by:
- chatting with SallieMae.com or through the Sallie Mae app from Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
- calling 800-472-5543 and using the automated system 24/7.
- calling 877-604-8834 if you are past due on your payments.
For additional information, please visit Salliemae.com/coronavirus and check out the latest information regarding the coronavirus, precautionary tips, and up-to-date travel guidance at the CDC coronavirus site.