Post date: September 20, 2022
Company Name: Kansas State University
The Agronomy Department at Kansas State University is looking for an operations technician to provide and coordinate maintenance and repair of the Throckmorton Plant Sciences Center greenhouse complex. This individual will work closely with faculty, students, and staff in the departments of Horticulture and Natural Resources,Agronomy, Plant Pathology, Entomology, and other academic departments and research collaborators to meet a variety of needs across the facility. The individual will work as part of a team that ensures efficient operation, maintenance, adjustment, and enhancement of the greenhouse complex, which supports high value teaching and research activities conducted at Kansas State University. Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- High school diploma. Five years relevant experience.
- Five years experience in greenhouse operations and maintenance.
- Five years relevant experience in commercial, industrial, mechanical, or buildingtrades.
- Skilled electrical, semi-skilled plumber, and semi-skilled carpentry tradeexperiences.
- Working knowledge of greenhouse environmental conditions.
- Ability to read, write, understand, and communicate in the English language.Working knowledge of basic computer applications.
- Ability to work with and supervise hourly student employees.
- Familiarity with managing a budget.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to prioritize tasks, work under pressure,and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a complex and technical environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well with multiple constituents.
- Willing to acquire necessary certifications and licenses including those forelectrical (e.g. ARC, NEC) and backflow prevention.
- Complete and keep up to date on all relevant safety trainings including but notlimited to hazardous materials, skid steer operation, Worker ProtectionStandard, boom lift operation, fall protection, basic first aid, hot work permits,and lock out tag out.
This individual will conduct or facilitate all emergency repairs to the complex using skilled electrical, semi-skilled plumbing, and semi-skilled carpentry applications. General knowledge of items to be maintained include but are not limited to fan motors and belts, timers, relays, growth lights, irrigation systems, electrical circuits, environmental controls, alarm systems, steam valves, backflow preventers, unit heaters, recirculation pumps, solenoid valves, window glazing and replacement, and domestic hot and cold water services. Service and maintenance of important equipment such as the soil mixer, soil shredder, conveyor system, skid steer, half-ton pickup, automatic roof vents, steam aerator, and autoclave are expected. This individual will be the key contact for application of whitewash shade compound to the greenhouse exterior, as well as for users of the soil mixing space
$40,576 - $52,500 annually ($19.51 - $25.24 hourly). Salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents:
- Letter of interest
- Names of three professional references
October 31, 2022