Transfer & Prior Learning Credit

Transfer Credit 

Manhattan Tech provides general education courses that fulfill the A.A.S. degree requirements of the programs at MATC. Additionally, the courses that are offered to fulfill these requirements are approved by The Kansas Board of Regents to be accepted in transfer for general education credit at any public postsecondary educational institution in Kansas.

The Kansas Board of Regents approves new courses each year, guaranteed to transfer among all Kansas public postsecondary institutions. From College Algebra, English Composition I & II, to Public Speaking, a student who completes a course listed as a guaranteed transfer course at any Kansas public community college, technical college, or university can be certain that he or she can transfer that course to any other Kansas public institution in pursuit of a degree or credential.

Each course approved and accepted in transfer for general education credit by the Board is identified by a shared course number that supports a student-first philosophy, and is designed to enhance educational planning and effortless course transfer. A Kansas Regents Shared Number (KRSN) uses a 3-letter prefix and a 4-digit course number to differentiate the KRSN number from individual institution course prefixes and numbers.

For a complete listing of the courses that have been approved by the Kansas Board of Regents for transfer as direct equivalents at all public Kansas postsecondary institutions click below.

Undergraduate students may transfer credit from other institutions of higher education that are accredited by a regional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.  An official transcript is required for transfer credit. Only course work with a grade of C or higher may be transferred.

*Manhattan Tech does not accept faxed transcripts as official from higher education institutions.

Before enrolling in courses through another college or university, contact MATC Student Services personnel (785.587.2800) to determine if the class(es) will meet MATC’s transfer criteria.

*The transfer of credit to other schools is entirely up to the recieving institution; MATC does not guarantee credit transfer.

Reverse Transfer

Students who transfer to a Kansas public university from a Kansas public community college or technical college are eligible for automatic Reverse Transfer, which allows for the attainment of any associate degree for which one is eligible along the way to additional certificates and degrees.

Prior Learning Credit

Students may seek awared of credit for prior learning through Advanced Placement (AP), Advanced Standing, College Level Examination Program (CLEP), VA National Testing Program (DSST) formerly known as DANTES, education credit for traning programs, & credit by examination

Advanced Placement (AP) Exams

The Advanced Placement test is one way to earn college credit by examination. These tests are given by the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) in May of the junior or senior years in high schools offering advanced placement courses. Students who have completed any of the following CEEB Advanced placement tests should have the Educational Testing Service (ETS) forward an official report of their scores to the Registrar’s Office in order to receive credit. If students did not originally have scores sent to MATC, they must have ETS forward a copy of their scores to the Registrar’s Office. To order reports students must provide ETS with the year the Advanced Placement test was taken, subject of the exam, birth date or Social Security number, and the required fee. Requests should be sent to: Advanced Placement Program, PO Box 6671, Princeton, NJ 08541-6671.

When calculating grades from the Advanced Placement tests, scores of 5, 4, or 3 are granted as indicated. No credit is granted for scores of 2 or 1. If the letter grade is awarded, it will become part of the student’s GPA at MATC. Advanced Placement courses can be used toward MATC’s General Education requirements.

The following list of course equivalencies, credit hours, and grades shown indicate MATC’s acceptance policy only. Other institutions may interpret recommendations differently.

AP Course AP Score MATC Course MATC Cr. Hrs. Grade
Biology 5 BSC 110 Biology 5 A
  4 BSC 110 Biology 5 B
  3 BSC 110 Biology 5 Credit
Chemistry 5 CHM 110 Chemistry I 5 A
  4 CHM 110 Chemistry I 5 B
  3 CHM 110 Chemistry I 5 Credit
English Composition 5 COM 105 English Comp I 3 A
  4 COM 105 English Comp I 3 B
  3 COM 105 English Comp I 3 Credit
Physics I 5 PHY 100 General Physics 5 A
  4 PHY 100 General Physics 4 B
  3 N/A N/A N/A
Psychology 5 PSY 100 Gen. Psychology 3 A
  4 PSY 100 Gen. Psychology 3 B
  3 PSY 100 Gen. Psychology 3 Credit
Statistics 5 MAT 145 Elem. Statistics 3 A
  4 MAT 145 Elem. Statistics 3 B
  3 MAT 145 Elem. Statistics 3 Credit
Advanced Standing

Credit may be given for course work completed at other institutions and, in some situations, for specific practical experience. Advanced standing in programs of study is determined on an individual basis by Manhattan Area Technical College program instructors and/or the Vice President of Student Success.


CLEP is a testing program of The College Board designed to measure prior learning and mastery of introductory (lower division) college course material in particular subject areas. Students must arrange for an official report of CLEP examination scores to be sent to MATC from The College Board in order to receive credit. MATC will grant credit to students who earn a score of 50 or higher on CLEP examinations. MATC will grant credits for an equivalent course when a CLEP examination covers material that is substantially similar to an existing lower division course. Equivalent course credits may be applied to certificate, diploma, and/or degree programs as either a required course or as an elective course. MATC will grant lower division elective course credits when a CLEP examination covers material that is deemed to be college level and is substantially similar to an existing course. Elective course credits may be applied to certificate, diploma, and/or degree programs as either a required course or as an elective course.

Credits for the Subject Standardized Tests Program for the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) will be evaluated using the ACE (American Council on Education) recommendations.

Credit for training programs, including military training, will be evaluated according to the ACE Guide. For Military training, credit will be evaluated from the student’s military documents using the “ACE Guide to the Evaluation of Experiences in the Armed Forces.” For Army veterans, the Joint Services Transcript (JST) will provide a transcript of ACE credit recommendations for all coursework completed while in service, the military occupational specialties (MOSs) held, and examinations passed. For Industry Training, credit will be evaluated using the “ACE College Credit Recommendation.”

Credit by Examination

Students who have knowledge or experience in an area paralleling instruction in an MATC class may apply for credit by examination for specific classes to a maximum of nine (9) hours of credit by examination per transcript. This examination, developed by the program instructor(s), will be comparable to a comprehensive review of the class content and will be administered by either an MATC instructor or administrator.

Refer to policy 5.1.3 Credit for Prior Learning on how to apply.

Military Alignment Credit 

The Kansas Credit for Prior Learning Task Force works closely with the Kansas Collaborative on Military Credit and other appropriate groups to make recommendations for evaluating and awarding credit for military training.

Throughout the past year, faculty and administrators have convened to examine university and college course outcomes as compared to the skills, outcomes, and competencies learned in various military occupational specialties (MOS) designations.

Click here to review what MOS classifications have been aligned with academic programs across Kansas.

This program allows service members to translate their military service into college credit.

Visit to review what MOS classifications have been aligned with academic programs across Kansas.


Transferring Credit:

Upon application all prior higher education official transcripts should be sent to the Registrar’s office. All compatible Kansas KRSN approved course credit will be accepted by MATC. To transfer credit from a none Kansas KRSN public institution a student must follow Policy 5.1.3 Credit for Prior Learning. The student is required to complete the Credit for Prior Learning form, to request courses they  want evaluated for transfer credit. The student must submit a course outline or syllabus from the year they completed the coursework for EACH course they are requesting be transferred. Course descriptions will not be accepted. Please note that this process can take up to 4-6 weeks for evaluation depending on the volume being processed by the Registrar’s office at the time. Applicable fees may apply as stated per the policy.