Step 1: Complete the FAFSA.
Please note: Application for admissions to Manhattan Tech is a separate process.
- Create an FSA ID so that you can log in to U.S. Department of Education websites. Your parents may also need to create an FSA ID if they are required to provide information on your FAFSA.
- Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Don't forget to add our Title IV School Code (005500) so that your FAFSA results are sent to us.
- The 2019-2020 school year (classes starting after July 1, 2019 and before June 30, 2020) requires 2017 tax information.
- We strongly suggest an applicant use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, if it is an option, when completing the online FAFSA application. This tool allows you to import your tax information directly from the IRS into your FAFSA and saves you time.
- Complete and return the Manhattan Tech Financial Aid Questionnaire.
- Submit your official high school transcript or GED to Manhattan Tech. Your transcript or GED must have been received by Manhattan Tech before the Office of Financial Aid will move on to Step 4.
Manhattan Tech recommends completing the FAFSA no later than May 1st for the fall semester. Within a few weeks of completing the FAFSA, you will receive an email from Manhattan Tech letting you know what additional documentation is required. In order to qualify for a book voucher, which allows a student to charge their textbooks against their expected surplus financial aid, all required financial aid paperwork (including financial aid acceptance process on our Online Financial Aid System, Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling if required) must be completed and turned in. We have a July 1st priority deadline for the upcoming school year.
Step 2: Review your Student Aid Report (SAR).
You will receive a Student Aid Report, or SAR, from the FAFSA processor approximately 1-3 weeks after you complete the FAFSA. Review this information to be sure it is correct. If corrections need to be made, make the corrections on-line at www.fafsa.ed.gov. If you have questions concerning your SAR, contact the processor at (800)433-3243.
Step 3: Complete Verification, if selected.
If your application is selected for verification by the processor or by Manhattan Tech, you must complete a Manhattan Tech Verification Worksheet, possibly provide the Federal Income Tax Return Transcript and the W-2's of the student and parents, and any other documents requested. Please note that per Department of Education regulations, schools can no longer accept copies of individual tax returns. Instead a student must provide the school with copies of tax return transcripts. These can only be ordered from from the IRS website. Using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool can make this process faster.
Step 4: Financial Aid Award Notification.
After all information has been received, awards will be determined and notification of awards will be emailed out to the student's Manhattan Tech email address. The award letter will be based on full time enrollment unless otherwise noted. Financial aid may be adjusted if hours enrolled drop below full time or as a student receives other monetary assistance, such as scholarships and tuition assistance, from third party sponsors.
To accept Direct Student Loans, please complete the following steps. Please wait until you have received notice of your awards before completing the financial aid acceptance process on our Online Financial Aid System.
- Complete Entrance Counseling
- Complete the MPN (Master Promissory Note)
- Complete the financial aid acceptance process on our Online Financial Aid System. This is required to inform the financial aid office of the amount you wish to borrow, if any. To estimate what your loan payment would be for the amount of student loans that you have borrowed or are thinking of borrowing, you can use this Loan Calculator.
Parent Plus Loan
A parent must log in using their FSA ID and complete a PLUS request to apply for the Parent PLUS loan. If the parent is denied the Parent PLUS loan, the student will become eligible for an additional unsubsidized loan. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid to request more information about receiving a Parent PLUS loan or to see if you qualify for the additional unsubsidized student loan.
Step 5: Disbursement Policy
Any Pell Grant or Direct loans will be applied against a student's tuition and fees first. If an over payment occurs, a check will be written to the student for the difference. The Business Office generally processes credit balance refunds several times a month. Please refer to the student calendar for dates. Checks are available at the Welcome Desk. Checks can be mailed upon written request. You may also opt to use Direct Deposit.